Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cornerstone #3: Speaker's Forum
by Robin Anderson
July 21, 2009

"There are different kinds of spiritual gifts but the same Spirit; there are different forms of service but the same Lord... To one is given through the Spirit the expression of wisdom; to another the expression of knowledge according to the same Spirit..."

- 1 Corinthians 12: 4-5, 8

I, personally, have not missed a Cornerstone yet. I love being there, in the joy, the music, the worship, the laughter, and the learning. Here is what a few of our Impact 2009 Cornerstone speakers have to say about their topics, and about what they see happening in Saskatoon as results of the Impact mission! Just so you know, these interviews were conducted over email, after their experience speaking at Cornerstone. I asked each of them the same questions. Enjoy...


Speaker Curtis Wagner, pictured here with St. Francis of Assisi!


Speaker Ken Yasinski, founder of Face to Face Ministries


Speaker Leah Perrault, co-author of How Far Can We Go? A Catholic Guide to Sex and Dating. Pictured here with her beautfiul daughter Robyn.

R: How did the theme of the Cornerstone speak to you personally?

Curtis:
The theme was freedom. I originally thought that by following Christ I would loose my freedom because I had to follow a bunch of rules but since I committed my life to Jesus I have never felt so free. I realized that Christianity is not about what I do but instead what’s been done. This is what’s been done: Jesus died on the cross personally for me so that my sins would be forgiven and that I could experience eternal life in heaven. My relationship with Jesus helps me to focus my energy, simplify my decisions, give meaning to my life and most importantly prepare me for eternity. God has developed an incredible sense of peace, hope, and an inexpressible joy in my life that comes from having a personal relationship with Jesus. This lasting joy and happiness that sustains me on a daily basis and gives me a freedom that can’t be explained in words.

Ken: Quite simply, if we do not know who we are, we cannot realize our potential. (Note: Ken spoke on identity in Christ)

Leah: Sexuality and Catholicism has been an area of interest for me for a long time now. As I discovered the wisdom of Catholicism in sexual theology, I became increasingly rooted in the Incarnation of Jesus. All of a sudden, being embodied became exciting because God communicates to us in and through our bodies. God, as Trinity, loves in relationship, and we are called to discover God's love and communion in our relationships too.

R: What were the main points of your talk? Or, if there was one thing that you wanted the attendees to take away, what was it?

Curtis:
My main objective was for each person in attendance to hear the basic Gospel message and respond to it. I shared the acronym, LIFT, to help understand the message and my testimony.
L = a Life changing event happened to me. All of us have life changing events that happens to us. Mine was...
I = I was diagnosed with a terminal Infection in my heart. We all have this infection and it’s called sin.
F = But a Famous person (Jesus) donated me a new Heart. You would have heard of Him, He has been in movies, on TV, and has had 1000’s of books written about Him.
T = So I had a heart Transplant and the surgery was so successful, I am going to live forever!

Ken: Our significance come from God alone, and not from what we wear, buy or how we look. Our conception is not an accidental act of biology, but rather a divine intervention. We are to die for, and we are to rise for. We have been given the family name of God, (Father Son and Holy Spirit), which is a name that will last forever!

Leah: The main points of my presentation are summed up in my book: How Far Can We Go? The one thing I'd like people to take away is that God loves us and He invites and trusts us to choose a rich life of loving relationships, no matter what vocation we are called to.

R: What did you see happening at the Cornerstone? In the people attending? In the Impacters?

Curtis:
I saw the Holy Spirit working. I saw youth excited, alive, passionate, and engaged in their faith. Being in that environment renewed me in my faith and gave me a new sense of hope for the Catholic Diocese in Saskatoon.

Ken: I saw a captive audience of young people thirsty for the truth. It was obvious while speaking, that some were hearing the truth of their Identity in Christ in a new way, or for the first time. For some, it seemed as though a veil was being lifted off the eyes, and an understanding of their significance and place in the heart of God the Father was being communicated to them by the Holy Spirit. It was a beautiful thing to be a part of. I also observed a sense of community being developed in with the young people attending this event.

Leah: At the Cornerstone, I saw God's love at work in people trying to figure out how to become like Christ. None of us have arrived yet, but there is a miracle in that God is present to us along the way.

R: How would you like to see the momentum of Impact carried into the years to come?

Curtis: As a result of this mission my great expectation is that every person in the world would encounter Christ and live their lives for Him.

Ken: It would be wonderful to have a regular citywide meeting for youth, conducted with the SAME spirit of Catholic evangelism as the Cornerstone. Young people need to hear the truths of the Church proclaimed in a clear and relevant way, and an opportunity to ENCOUNTER Christ. The Cornerstone has been effective in this. It would be disappointment and a disservice to the youth of this city if this did not continue.

Leah: I would like to see Impact build unity in the Church in Saskatoon. I would like to see enthusiasm, openness and care as fruits of the mission.

R: Well folks, that's all for now! See you at the Cornerstone, Holy Spirit Parish, 7 30 pm on Thursdays...

No comments:

Post a Comment